Development and Communications Support
About Mary’s Pence
Mary’s Pence is a faith based feminist organization inspired by Catholic Social Teachings. Believing we are each called to make the world a better place, we support women in the Americas through both social and economic development. Our annual budget is approximately $600,000. Approximately 90% of our funds come from individual donors. Mary’s Pence has a staff of 8, 5 in the US and 3 staff members in Latin America. The St. Joseph Worker will work closely with the Development and Communications Manager and with the Executive Director, other staff and volunteers. Learn more about Mary’s Pence at maryspence.org.
- Outreach and Communications
- Manage our monthly eNews, including planning content, writing and publishing. Write engaging articles about U.S. grantees and ESPERA partners and women. Work is done in collaboration with the Mary’s Pence team.
- Support creation of written materials for other communication channels, including direct mail, emails, and newsletters.
- Create and edit short videos with content from grantees, ESPERA partners, board members and donors. Review and track photo and video content received, identify content for use.
- Provide support for our book discussion series Illuminating Conversations. This might include coordinating guest speakers, supporting outreach efforts, participate in selection of books, and participation in the discussions.
- Periodically assist in planning and overseeing donor or outreach events, such as open house during art crawl, and public workshops/events.
- Support creation of content for social media efforts on our blog, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Mary’s Pence Grants Selection Committee
- Serve as a committee member that reviews grants applications and selects grantees.
- Special Projects
- Past special projects performed by SJWs at Mary’s Pence include writing a history of the ESPERA program, managing the collection of archives, helping to design our Calendar of Inspirational Women/annual report, managing events for younger donors/volunteers. Possibility of gaining grant writing experience if that is of interest.
Mary’s Pence is a small but very active, creative office. There will be many opportunities to participate or manage special projects as they arise. We want to make this experience engaging for the SJW and will involve them in projects based on their interests and desired areas(s) of growth. Our small size allows all staff to become intimately familiar with all aspects of managing a small nonprofit.
Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent writing skills, the ability to write engaging stories and content for donors.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, face to face interaction, and public speaking.
- Ability to plan and implement work with an eye to how each project supports the mission and vision of Mary’s Pence.
- Computer proficiency. Experience with DonorPerfect (donor database) Constant Contact (group email) and WordPress (web update interface) helpful.
- Familiar with social media platforms and management.
- Bi-lingual in English / Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate life experience.
Values and Work Style
- Creative and self-motivated, enjoys bringing new ideas to the organization.
- Passion for social justice, particularly women’s issues in the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Comfortable with diversity – age, political views, faiths, etc.
- Highly organized, self-motivated and able to manage multiple and complex projects. Organized and diligent about record-keeping and administration while setting and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with Development and Communications Manager, Executive Director, and volunteers.
- Flexible working style, willing to give and take, willing to flex to the tasks needed, including administrative tasks. Comfortable in a low budget, “everyone pitches in” environment.
Hours are between 9am-5pm Monday through Friday, exact times are flexible. Periodically we participate in evening events, or do outreach at conferences in other parts of the country, and the St. Joseph Worker may have some opportunity to participate.
Communications Department September 21st, 2023
Posted In: Uncategorized