Sarah’s… an Oasis for Women is a home dedicated to safety and dignity for a diverse community of women where they can begin new and productive lives.
This position includes collaboration on work toward Sarah’s mission dedicated to safety and dignity for a diverse community of women where they can begin new and productive lives. Women healing from trauma continue vibrant, meaningful lives and contribute to the common good. The efforts of the St. Joseph Worker (SJW) will include a balance of systemic, direct service, and organizational work. The list of responsibilities includes areas the SJW may be asked to participate in but is not necessarily exhaustive. The Director is committed to ensuring that the SJW reaches her program, personal and professional goals.
Schedule: This position works 36 hours per week. Hours are flexible, Monday – Friday daytime and at least some of these remote but we ask that for the residents the schedule be consistent week to week approved ahead of time by your supervisor.
- Ability to work with, communicate and relate to women of diverse backgrounds, language skills, and life experiences including sensitivity to the needs of women who have experienced significant trauma, assuring the women’s dignity and safety
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as well as develop and maintain positive relationships and communication with various constituents.
- Ability to use or learn to use Microsoft Office, Google Suite (Gmail, Meet, Docs, Drive, Survey, Calendar, Photo, Search), Canva for flyers and presentations, Shutterfly, Social Media, Zoom, OneCallNow and WhatsApp! Communications with current and former resident groups, AirTable app, and Sarah’s “Apricot CTK” database to conduct research, gather information, and record work effectively
- Demonstrate organization and time management skills and ability to prioritize a wide range of duties
- Ability to mentor residents with diverse backgrounds and language skills to utilize texting, email, and Zoom and communicate with and retain schedule and professionalism boundaries being available appropriately via your own mobile devices and email.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently, be adaptable and flexible, and show self-motivation, creativity and leadership.
- Preferably holds valid driver’s license to be able to drive Sarah’s van to bring residents to appointments and drive to run errands.
- Ability to maintain calm in critical situations; familiarity with facilitating or practicing conflict resolution.
- Assist residents in meeting their learning goals. This may include tutoring in English (such as helping in the completion of assignments, essays, and worksheets) and computer or telephone use, gathering additional education resources for women and being available for general assistance. Ultimate end goal is that residents are able to make phone calls, complete online steps, and utilize resources independently.
- Mentor residents towards job attainment. Mentor around resume writing, job applications and job search (especially online and phone follow up), and interviewing. Lead annual networking event in collaboration with Sarah’s director.
- Assist towards permanent affordable housing after Sarah’s. Provide assistance in public housing application and/or other housing search and referrals.
- Accompany or drive women new to the USA and to Sarah’s on first appointments. Assist residents in registering for English classes, getting passport photos, accessing social services, and other needs as requested. Ultimate end goal is that residents are able to make phone calls, complete online steps, and utilize resources independently.
- Maintain Sarah’s list of resources and referrals which support residents’ goals. Regularly verify contact information and research additional resources to inform Sarah’s director and residents of what’s available.
- Promote the continuation of Sarah’s ministry sustainably into the future. Upon request, assist Community Relations staff: updating donor database, sending thank-you notes; updating tour packets and flyers/brochures to promote Sarah’s, managing Sarah’s Facebook page, other social media as requested, and regularly creating posts.
Communications Department September 21st, 2023
Posted In: Uncategorized